Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Good and bad

Most of our time in Portage has been filled with wonderful friends and memories. We moved here newly married with a tiny six week old. We leave with fifteen years of marriage, three kids, and me transitioning from staying at home to working full time, and so much more. If I am being honest though, we've had some hard times here. Times where we've allowed friendships, and participated in behaviors that did not add any value to our lives. Thankfully through lots of hard work, and the grace of God ,we were able to come out of that time better off.  Stronger in our faith's and our marriage. The other day someone from that dark past reached out to me. In their defense I believe their intentions to be benign and well intended. But it THREW ME. It shed light on the fact that all of my "good, hard work" towards a better, healthier life was fragile. It exposed all of my weaknesses and poor coping choices. It also made me realize how grateful I was to be delivered from such a toxic relationship. This situation made me realize how far we've come, and how enslaved to a crappy life we were. It sadly reminded me of just how miserable I had allowed myself to be for far too long.
Life is hard right now. The stress of the last year has nearly broken me. But, God. God is always there. Even when I do and say things and think the next day,"What in the world did you do?!" God is never surprised. He has worked on this old heart of mine so much over the past five years. I've come so far and know that the ONLY ONE that matters loves me beyond measure. I know, without a doubt that there is nothing I could do or say(or text) that can separate me from the love of Jesus.
I am so sad to leave much of this life we've built here in Portage, Michigan. But, much of me is excited for a fresh start. I look forward to beginning this new adventure on the east side of the state with all of the great friendships and knowledge I have gained through the bad ones.

No comments: