Thursday, November 05, 2015

Things I know for sure..


1. I work with some of the most supportive people. Work has been challenging, sometimes beyond what I feel I can bear lately. I have felt such love from my fellow social workers, providers, nurses, case managers, etc.
2. Jeff.is.awesome. That man knows how to chill his crazy, anxious wife out with a few sentences. Man of  few words, my husband, but the ones he picks, powerful. So thankful for him.
3. Crock pot meals are somewhat life changing. Having dinner ready and waiting..makes life so much easier.
4. Family is important. This job of mine, it certainly has made me think more about how little I see my extended family. I want my kids to have memories with all of their cousins and aunts and uncles. So, we are spending Thanksgiving with my sister's extended family, who practically is family because they are so awesome and we have plans to return for a few days at Christmas to be with my parents and sister's family. I envision cooking baking and cousin's giggling and lots of memory making. ( In reality it may involve my dad watching endless hours of FOX news and nibbling store bought cookies, but hey, we will do these things TOGETHER!)
5. I miss not having stitches in any part of my left side!:) This sounds ridiculous I know but first I fell and shattered a glass into my left hand which required a minor surgery and two sets of stitches. No sooner did it heal than I went to the dermatologist to have a spot looked at on my left forearm that's removal required three stitches! I know, first world problem
6. Christmas is coming. I love it all, the cheesy movies, the twinkling lights, the tree, the decor, the music, the traditions we have with the kids.
7. Small group and reconnecting with my faith. I am still ridiculously full of flaws and daily make mistakes, sometimes big ones.  But I feel for the first time in years that Jeff and I are on the path we need to be. I also love seeing how much my kids are getting out of being part of a smaller community within our church. They love it too!
8.  Volunteering is good for your soul! I have been helping with GEMS's fifth grade girls. GEM's is a program for girls ages 2nd grade through 5th at our church. I decided that I needed to do more at church this year and considering Caroline goes each week, it really was the perfect opportunity to serve. I will fully admit, I was very apprehensive. After all, I am not a huge fan of helping with kids. (I know, horrible.) But, I have really enjoyed getting to know these girls. I am glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and every week I am blessed to learn so much from them and their perspectives.
9. Friends can make or break you. I am lucky to have some awesome friends who have proved they are there for me through it all.
10. Time flies with your kids. I can't believe that my kids are 10,9 and 6. The other night I went to give Ellie a kiss goodnight. As I gazed at her sweet, sleeping, little face, I noticed her hand closed in the same way it was when she was an infant. I have no idea why I remember what her hand looked like as an infant? I think maybe it was that I remember trying to really cherish and soak up her infancy because I knew she was my last. As I looked at my now six year old with that same little fist, my heart was sad. I love having kids that are more independant but sometimes I wish time would slow down. Soon, Matthew won't want to give me a hug and kiss in the middle of the school hallway, every ,single day, Caroline won't let us call her "Squeaker" and Ellie's clenched little fist will just get bigger and bigger.
These things, these are what I know for sure on November 5, 2015!



No comments: