Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sweet Sam

I have written before about our sweet neighbor, Sam. He was born with hypo-plastic left heart syndrome. He has endured three open heart surgeries in his short three years of life. Sam is one of the cutest, smartest, and definitely most athletic little boys I have ever known. He loves keeping up with  all of the big kids in the neighborhood and is just the sweetest little guy.
God has been so good to Sam and his family these last three years. He has been able to live a relatively normal life despite having half a heart and having his surgeries to make the heart he does have functional for him.
Last week it was discovered that he most likely has a rare condition called Plastic Bronchitis. Plastic bronchitis is very scary and can have grave impact on Sam. His cardiologist here and his medical team at U of M are in the midst of figuring how exactly what this means for Sam. His family has been thrown into some pretty scary realities including the possibility that Sam may need a heart transplant sooner than later.
Its been pretty somber around here. All of us who have come to know and love and live  in community with Sam sometimes forget that he even has a heart condition. He lives such a vibrant life. He has so much energy. He brings everyone so much joy!

This morning I read on a friend's status a devotional from "Jesus Calling". It said the following,

"Stay calmly conscious of Me today, no matter what. Remember that I go before you as well as with you into the day. Nothing takes Me by surprise. I will not allow circumstances to overwhelm you, so long as you look to Me. I will help you cope with whatever the moment presents. Collaborating with Me brings blessings that far outweigh all your troubles. Awareness of My Presence contains Joy that can endure all eventualities." 
I got teary reading it. It was perfect for Jaime and her family and for all of us. I posted it on Jaime's wall. I spoke with a mutual friend of ours later in the day and discovered God has brought that devotion to Jaime's attention three times in the past couple of days. WOW! That is what I love about our God. He knows as humans our tendancy is to freak out. He knows that even though we are faithful we get scared, especially at the unknown. He also knows sometimes it takes three people to drive His words and promises home.
I am still sad that this medical crisis has developed but I stand strong in knowing what that devotional says is true. I especially love the last sentence,"Awareness of My presence contains Joy that can endure all eventualities."
Please pray for Sam and his mom and dad and two sisters. Pray for his medical team, that they would have wisdom beyond measure on how to treat this plastic bronchitis. 

No comments: