Friday, March 16, 2012

Waah!

What is waah, you may be asking yourself?? That is the sound of me crying when I think about my internship ending at the Borgess Neuro Rehab. I have been there seven months now. I have loved every.single.day! I have been blessed beyond measure to know the nurses, the doctors, the occupational and physical therapists and their staff but most of all from Sheryl, the MSW who supervises me and from the patients. Sheryl is the greatest example of what I strive to be as a social worker. She is leads by example, has integrity,compassion, boundaries, self-awareness and has taught me so much on how to be effective. I joke with her all the time about her detail oriented she is and how much I LACKED that skill before working with her. She has taught me so much about how to be more detailed oriented and the importance of that and how reflects on you as a professional.
In many ways, Sheryl and I are very different. Maybe that's why our relationship has worked so well. We're different but we have a mutual respect for our differences and how those differences really compliment each other and makes us more effective. I am certain that spending eight months with Sheryl will have a profound and lasting impression on me for years to come.
The patients, those who have had strokes, suffered traumatic brain injuries, been hospitalized for several months and are now are weak and in need of intensive rehab, have taught me so much too. That you never really can take this life, your health, today, tomorrow, your family, your job, for granted. Nothing is a guarantee in life. Nearly all of the patients I have been privileged to work with are inspiring and courageous. It has been a pleasure to be of assistance to them in a valley of their lives. It has caused me to have some tough discussions with Jeff about what our wishes and desires are for one another and our family if God forbid a medical crisis of this nature should occur. Because one thing I have learned is that most people don't think it will happen to them and aren't prepared. It has made me appreciate that my parents and Jeff's still have their health and that we haven't been faced with these difficult decisions and to have those talks with them to.
Most of all, my internship at Borgess has given me inspiration again. To be a better social worker. To continue to give 100% every time I am there and do all I can to make life better. Even if all I can do is secure the medical equipment they will need to return home once they leave the hospital.
I have taken an internship next year at the Child Trauma Assessment Center. It will be a much different experience than the hospital setting. Though I am certain that many of the lessons I have learned through the rehab team will transfer. I look forward with anticipation and back with much gratefulness.

No comments: