Friday, September 16, 2011

And we're off....

To the races...well, no, not really. But it certainly has felt like that these past two weeks. I started full time school and internship two days a week and Matthew and Caroline both started school. Matthew has a freshly graduated teacher and she seems to be great. Caroline has the teacher who Matthew had last year for Young Fives and is enjoying it. I think she was a bit taken aback that she would be going everyday considering last year it was only two days a week, but she is adjusting. Ellie is not adjusting as well as I would have hoped at daycare. She is really missing her mommy and crying a lot. I feel horrible about it. I know that it will take some getting use to but it is hard to see her little tear stained cheeks at the end of the day. And me? Well, I am LOVING grad school so far. I really feel like I made the best decision. I love all of my classes and although I have only had two days of internship under my belt, I love that too. My field instructor is a great teacher and a skilled social worker so it really makes the whole situation ideal. It has been strange to realize how much I missed practicing social work. For so much of my life I felt like my calling was to be a full time stay at home mom. But, as time went on, I realized that wasn't my calling and in fact, it was the cause of much of my unhappiness and frustrations. That was hard to come to terms with and to reconcile. I think it will always be a struggle to balance it all. Work, children, marriage, me, friends, etc. It's a lot of pressure, to get it right. I am just beginning to navigate that world but so far I find the challenge to be doable and not overwhelming.
Jeff has been great about helping get the kids ready for school, taking Ellie to daycare on my internship days and allowing me time to study. We're off on this new journey and loving it!!

No comments: