Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Humble Dave Ramsey Pie

Like the title?:) I will admit I have been thinking about the content of this post since yesterday and have thought of several titles. Some of which included..Damn daycare, damn debt,damn stupid decisions!! But, I thought Humble Dave Ramsey Pie was more creative and less profane:)
I started my job at the retirement home and lets just say I was HORRIBLY mislead as to what I would be doing. I THOUGHT I would be serving meals, chatting with the old folks and ok, yes, I did think I would have to clear dishes. I DID NOT think I would have to mop, sweep, wash dishes, bus, serve..etc I also didn't think I would have to answer to a snotty little 19 year old who chain smokes and swears..but I was wrong. So whats a stay at home mommy who wants to earn some extra cash so her husband dosen't have to work at Jackson Hewitt this tax season but still wants to make money to pay off stupid credit card debt she racked up, along with her husband, when they were young and newly married to do? (By the way,can anyone say run on sentence?) I'll tell you what she is going to do...SUCK IT UP!! Yes, its pretty gross but its only 8-12 hours a week. The hours work so I don't have to put the kids in daycare and it does get me away and lets me have my husband home at nights and on Saturdays. We made stupid financial decisions and so, in a sense, I am reaping what I sowed.
But, the snotty, college educated girl in me is thinking," I am waaayyy too good for this job." The good, rational Christian girl in me says, " No you not...start scrubbing those nasty dishes lady!"
So, I will suck it up and do it..who knows, maybe it will turn out to be the best job ever?! Of course Jeff loves to say to me when I have spent money on something he thinks is frivilous.." That's two hours of dish washing...hope it was worth it!"
Since he is the more financially responsible one of the two of us I just shot him a dirty look!:)
Man...sometimes being a grownup really stinks!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

So true about The Stupidness of it all... Boy I wish I had found Dave Ramsey or had a parent teach me how to handle my money way before now. I hope it'll get a little better with the 19yr old. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your blog post are always so grounded--and your family sounds so funny! You should have a TV show! Just think about how good it will be when you can call up Dave and yell "WE'RE DEBT FREEEEEE!!!!!!"

HP and Diane said...

Sue, I appreciate your 'honesty' and I love the title of your blog entry!! I had to laugh at your job description.. and then thought.. well, at least you don't have to change diapers, empty bed pans and clean up those kinds of messes!! Been there, done that.. I quickly moved on! Good for you for sticking with it!! I'm sure you'll have a lot of good stories to share and who knows what God has in store for the 19 year old!!