Thursday, March 27, 2008

Being the strong ones?

My mom and I just got back from Keith's dad's funeral today. We left yesterday morning to drive to Novi to help my sister and her 6.5 year old and 3.5 year old and Keith's sister Janis's two kids who are 7.5 and 6.5. It was nice to be able to help them out. Apparently the took the kids up to the funeral home on Tuesday night and my niece Claire was really struggling with seeing her Papa like that. We stayed with them during the day yesterday and the things the kids were saying just about broke my heart. They all seemed quiet and down and random comments about Ken would just kind of pop out. Claire found some pictures of Ken and said, "That is when we use to have good times, not anymore now that he's dead we won't have anymore." I reassured her that Papa was in heaven where its a good time 24/7 and that he wouldn't want us to be too sad for too long. That right now everyone is sad but to rest assured that their are plenty of good times to be had. Janis's little boy Jacob said to me,"I am really sad, I am going to miss my Papa so much" My mom and I joked that we were the ones who had to be strong and keep it together b/c the kids had been seeing their parents and grandma so distraught but the honesty of a child's grief can really get you!
It was a beautiful service that truly honored all Ken was...he exemplified what it means to have a servants heart and will be greatly missed!
Thanks to wonderful Grandma Barb and some babysitters all remained ok on the homefront. Tommorrow I am going to Union Pier with the girls from my Steering Committee from my MOPS group, it should be fun. Then, Saturday we have a wedding to go to. Its been a busy and draining week so tommorrow I am hoping to just relax!! Have a good weekend!
S

1 comment:

Hummel Family said...

I am sorry to hear about this great loss! How nice of you to go help out with the kiddos. I am sure this was so helpful. I will be praying for this family! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.