Friday, July 21, 2006

Book Club night

Hi
I had my first book club last night for the book, LIFE OF PI. It went well and the conversations that emerged were fascinating. It has a lot of "spirituality" in it, as the main character dables in hinduism, islam and christianity. As a Christian reading it, I found all references to God in it to be personal to my God, my Jesus. But, to the other members of the group, who are mostly agnostic, they found all sorts of personal meaning in his quests for knowledge within the three religions. This lead to a discussion of why people reject formal religion and churches and it was fascinating to me as an evangelical Christian to listen to their perspectives. Nothing irritates me more than when someone says, "I just don't want to be judged and I am tolerant of whatever anyone believes as long as they are a good person" It seriously makes me want to scream, "THAT IS NOT THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!" But, obviously that is not going to bring anyone closer to Christ. I said some comments about how God and Christ were the most important thing in my life and I can't imagine doing anything without my faith. One women kept saying, " I wish I could have that, I am jealous of people who have that." Finally I said, " Anyone can have it, its yours for the taking, God wants a relationship with all of us." I felt such sadness that they really had no idea of what I was talking about. I wish that I had more guts to invite people to church, I really stink at that, I chicken out b/c I don't want people to think I am being pushy. But, the words of a pastor of a church in Chicago ring in my head each time I don't do it, he said in regards to feeling uncomfortable about asking people to church and about their relationship to Christ, " People, they are going to hell without Him, what could be more uncomfortable than that? " So true!
The whole night made me so thankful for my friends at church and in my life in general who are Christians and to have more "guts" when it comes to the non Christians, I could be passing up golden opportunities to share Christ and "give someone that"!! Hmm, so much growing I have to do!
S

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Way to go, you!!! Before we moved, I was in this little book club in our subdivision in Mattawan with two 2 older couples (who were obviously friends, so I felt reeeaaallyyy weird there...) Anyway, they were also not believers and we read "the five people you meet in heaven" by mitch albom. again, great conversations, but I always felt tense cause I wanted to represent Christ the best I could.

I know God has you there for a reason and I'm glad you are sticking with it! Keep me posted on what you're reading!