Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This generations babysitters...

Ok, I am 32 years old and spent a large portion of my teen/adult life babysitting/nannying. I was taught by my mom that when you babysit, you a-watch the kids, not keep the tv on the whole time, b-clean up after yourself at minimum but also clean up whatever mess they left in the common areas.(yes, this includes loading the dishwasher, picking up all the toys, even ones I didn't use),change the kids diapers, use common sense.

I can't tell you how much all of my teenage, high school babysitters STINK!! Tonight for example, I had one come over for two hours b/c I went to see my friends new baby at the hospital and then to a church meeting. Well,no sooner had I arrived when Jeff called, irate because everything was complete chaos at home. Caroline has a minor cold and hadn't been fed or put down for a nap, Matthew was playing in the living room,which by the way is gated off! They both had sopping wet diapers...so annoying. We have one decent babysitter, she is more than decent she is amazing,but she is a college student and gone for the month of May! When she gets back I am giving her a raise!!

Sorry for the rant...its just so annoying!

S

4 comments:

MiKemple said...

Susan,
I am glad that i had a chance to talk with Jeff and find out what happened. Now that i reconnected with your blog, i find more details and the explanation just as Jeff described it...we have a daughter that would be a great sitter for you, but transportation is an issue. We missed you at the L3 meeting, i'm sorry you couldn't stay and please forgive my pressing on to get beverages for the girls...if you had gone first, like i initially suggested, you would have gotten your mocha and been able to chill with the 6 of us. We made mention of remembering to lift up your friend Sarah to the LORD in prayer. Be well my sister in Christ, be well.

Janine said...

I've BTDT. Lowell and I still talk about the bad babysitter incident that we had. Thankfully diapers were changed but we came home to a freezing cold, messy house one night. The place was trashed, babysitter was camped out covered up with blankets in a chair. After she went home we found that the slider door was wide open behind the verticle blinds. Where is the common sense, I ask you? LOL We laugh about it now, but at the time we wanted to send her a bill to cover those three hours the slider was standing open that winter night. I hope you can eventually laugh about your bad babysitter story.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry you had that experience! I didn't babysit a lot as a teenager, that was really my sister's thing, but I was certainly raised and told to always leave the house cleaner than it was before you got there...meaning do all your dishes and whatever was in the sink and pick up ALL the toys and for goodness sake change the childrens diapers!!

Janine said...

I will vouch for that, Jenn. You, Carrie, and Holly were our favorite babysitters. :-)