Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Life of Pi

Hi
Has anyone out there read, "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel? I am reading it for a new book club I started and I have to say its the strangest book I have ever read. When I bought it over a month ago I was eager to begin reading it and then I opened it and it all went south, quickly! I just couldn't get into it, I felt like I was in college all over again. I finally just told myself I was never going to read it and just go to the book club and hang out with some girlfriends. But, then I started feeling that "I haven't finished my homework" guilt. I started thinking to myself, " Is this what has become of me, that a book poses some challenges and I just throw in the towel?" and honestly, my answer was yes. I have better things to do with my time than read a book that reads more like a zoology book for a student doing their thesis. Then I talked to my friend Stephanie who suggested starting later in the book b/c apparently the beginning isn't that vital. So on Monday I began again and WOW, what a book! So, so good!! I highly recommend it, but begin by reading the first 20 pages and then skip to page 94. It is really incredible the imagination and depth of writing abilities that Martel has on . I am so glad that I didn't totally give up. Makes me want to try algebra again!
In other news, I went to the dr on Mon and it looks like Baby Simpson may arrive on October 13th, FRI the 13th. Now I know this sounds stupid, but I hate the number 13!! I don't want her birthday to be on the 13th. I obviously don't believe in superstious (sp?) things happening on that day, I have always hated the number. So, I am praying that the surgery day is the 12th!! Jeff only has three days off, so I really don't want it to be in Monday either, picky, picky!! Matthew has started doing a new thing when he gets in trouble he runs up to me and kisses me and puts his head on me, so cute and so hard to stand my ground. I want to eat him up!!

S

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Girl you seriously crack me up! I'm with you on the 13th thing though...I really only like even numbers for some reason!

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey Sue! Finally found your blog. Have to comment on the previous post on Jason's sermon. The whole trashing the Honda thing must be a male thing. Jason's is the SAME way. You seriously could've been describing our car! Glad you enjoyed it and were able to take something practical from it. It was nice to meet you in person!

Jeannie said...

No, but now I have to read it. I'm a huge contemporary fiction fan, but I never get to read everything I want to!

Carrie said...

Hey sue! The 13th isn't so bad...I didn't get to choose Jonah's b'day b/c my water broke and it just so happened to be on Friday, December 13th!! He has been nothing but a blessing and we have never thought of any Friday the 13th as "voodooish" since! I am a fan of even numbers too, but so far, both of my kids were born on odd number days! Go figure!!!