Monday, July 10, 2006

Envy

Last night we had a great speaker at church, he spoke about Envy and it really hit home for me. I like to think I don't struggle that much with that but after listening to him I realized that there are definetly times when I am not content with all the abundant blessings God has given me. I am with Jeff and my children but I admit with material posessions, I struggle. I have several friends whose husbands make more than $100,000 a year and there are times when, yes, I admit, I am jealous that they can go to Steinmart and buy anything they want, of their cleaning ladies, their ablitly to hire a babysitter and go out for a $80 meal and movie. I have no reason to envy that, I have all I need and more. I have a wonderful mother in law who watches my child whenever I need for free and does a better job at it than me sometimes:), I have extremly generous parents who are always "gifting" us something. I truly want for nothing. The guest speaker spoke about his 1990 Honda Accord that despite its share of problems, is a beloved answer to prayer and has taught him and his wife alot about being content in what God gives us. We have a 1997 Honda Accord and when I had the crappier car, I so loved that car. I even made Jeff stop driving it so I could when I was pregnant with Matthew b/c I deemed my car "unsafe". Yet, when we got our new car, his car suddenly became the crap car. He often makes fun of my ability to change my mind when something better comes along. After listening to the message last night, I had a newfound respect and admiration for the Honda. I went out tonight and bought some car wash and washed that baby clean, it was so nasty and dirty!! Jeff can trash a car like no other, once he filled the entire passenger side with empty water bottles to see how many he could collect?! Strange man! I made him come outside and help me de junk the inside and we found so many treasures inside. An ultrasound pic of Matthew at 25 weeks, his little legs and giant feet that he has had since the womb, that little miracle baby,one of my gifts from God, my old name tag from a beloved job that was such an answered prayer, millions of pens, the lawn mower charger that we had frantically been looking for, for over a year, and the most special of all, a cross. Buried under all the french fry , old pens, scraps of paper, there it was my cross. Buried under all the junk. That to me is what ENVY does, buries you under the junk! It felt good driving our Honda, with it all clean and vaccummed out to get gas and thanking God for everything HE blesses us with( even if the stereo is busted!)

S

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Great thoughts Sue! It was a great service...good teaching and great worship! I know I walked away with so much just like you did:) I was shocked when I looked down and saw it was 7:20 and we were just starting to sing the last song! The time flew by and I didn't even realize it! Thanks for sharing!
Jen